What's new this week?
AI adoption accelerates. AI-powered drive-thrus. NATO's focus on AI. AI's progress in tackling racial inequality, healthcare issues, enzyme research, and supply chain disruptions.
- According to Deloitte's State of AI in the Enterprise report, more and more companies are adopting AI-powered solutions and making AI the core of their business strategy.
- AI drive-thrus are coming. McDonald's is selling its McD Tech Labs to IBM in order to "further accelerate" work on its automated voice ordering systems. Fewer humans, more robots.
- NATO is finalizing its strategy on AI. The bloc will adopt an 18-point AI strategy and launch a “future-proofing” fund with the goal of investing around $1 billion.
- The UK plans to deploy Artificial intelligence to tackle racial inequalities in the NHS under government plans to “level up” healthcare and give broader access to minorities.
- Medtronic, the world’s largest medical device company, increases its investments into AI to accelerate its adoption and raise trust in AI-generated medical advice.
- Researchers from the HHU Institute of Computational Cell Biology in Stockholm have found a way to use AI for the Michaelis constants, to make it easier to quantify enzyme activity.
- 81% of U.S. online retailers are increasing their investments in artificial intelligence systems to help manage operations and increase sales in preparation to the holiday season.
- Mage, a developer of an AI tool for product developers to build and integrate AI into apps, raises $6.3M in seed funding led by Gradient Ventures.
- Hex, a collaborative data workspace for data scientists, brings in $16M in Series A funding led by Tomasz Tunguz from Redpoint Ventures.
- Abacus.ai, a company building an AI platform that simplifies ML model creation, raises $50M in Series C led by Tiger Global; announced support of CV use cases.
- Resistant AI, a developer of AI-powered anti-fraud solution, closes $16.6M in Series A funding led by GV (Google Ventures) and existing investors.
- Deci, a Tel Aviv-based startup for building usable models to run AI algorithms, picks up a Series A of $21M. Insight Partners and existing investors lead the round.
Introduction to Distributed Training in PyTorch
This tutorial will introduce you to the basics of distributed training in PyTorch. Note that this is the last of article in a 3-part tutorial on intermediate PyTorch techniques for CV/DL practitioners.
Deploying Serverless spaCy Transformer Model with AWS Lambda
In this step-by-step guide, you'll learn how to deploy NER transformer model serverless with Huggingface and AWS Lambda to run predictions. Four major steps.
Reflections on Foundation Models
In this blog post, The Gradient team talk through why foundation models are important and clarify several points in relation to the community response to the original report.
Predicting Gene Expression with AI
In this article, DeepMind team go deep into their new Enformer architecture that advances genetic research by improving the ability to predict how DNA sequence influences gene expression.
State of AI Report 2021
This year’s State of AI Report points to the real-world performance breakthroughs in NLP, CV, and biology. Research into AI safety lags behind its rapid commercial, civil, and military deployment.
CLOOB: Modern Hopfield Networks with InfoLOOB Outperform CLIP
This article is a comprehensive, detailed overview and explanation of the paper: “CLOOB: Modern Hopfield Networks with InfoLOOB Outperform CLIP”. Learn more!
Applications and Techniques for Fast Machine Learning in Science
This community review report discusses applications and techniques for fast ML in science based on two workshops held by the Fast ML for Science community. Make sure to have a look!
DocTr: Document Image Transformer for Geometric Unwarping and Illumination Correction
Hao Feng et al. propose a new framework, called Document Image Transformer (DocTr), to address the issue of geometry and illumination distortion of the document images.
Resolution-robust Large Mask Inpainting with Fourier Convolutions
In this paper, the researchers propose a new method called large mask inpainting (LaMa) to solve the issue of an effective receptive field in both the inpainting network and the loss function.
SciCap: Generating Captions for Scientific Figures
In this paper, the researchers propose an end-to-end neural framework, called SciCap, to automatically generate informative, high-quality captions for scientific figures.
CIPS-3D: A 3D-Aware Generator of GANs Based on Conditionally-Independent Pixel Synthesis
In this paper, Peng Zhou et al. present CIPS-3D, a style-based, 3D-aware generator that is composed of a shallow NeRF network and a deep implicit neural representation (INR) network.
SgSum: Transforming Multi-document Summarization into Sub-graph Selection
The researchers propose a novel MDS framework to formulate the MDS task as a sub-graph selection problem. The architecture has strong transfer ability from single to multi-document input
GTC [NVIDIA Conference]
NVIDIA GTC is more than a must-attend AI conference for developers (Nov. 8-11). Don’t miss a keynote from Jensen Huang, plus sessions and talks with luminaries from around the world.
Knowledge Graphs Course 2021 [in Russian]
Graph Representation Learning (GRL) is an extremely popular area of research. This course aims to close the gaps Russian speakers may have in the topic. 9 lectures in total.
IGDL 2021 Israeli Geometric Deep Learning Workshop
Listen to three exclusive keynotes and 15 short talks delivered at the second Israeli workshop on Geometric Deep Learning. Major topics: DL on Non-Euclidian domains and its applications.
- Data Analyst - Grammarly, San Francisco; Remote
- Computational Materials Scientist AI / ML - Exabyte.io, San Francisco, Remote
- Machine Learning Engineer - Daily Harvest, USA (Remote)
- Machine Learning Product Manager - FreshBooks, Canada (Remote)
- AI Scientist - Paige, Netherlands (Remote)
- Senior Data Scientist, Safety Insights - Reddit, San Francisco, New York City, Remote
- Data Scientist, Sales and Marketing - Stripe, Seattle, New York, or Remote
- Senior Data Engineer - Twilio, USA (Remote)
- Data Scientist - Snap, Kyiv, Odesa
- Lead MLOps Engineer - SoftServe, Lviv, Kyiv, Odesa, Remote ...
Looking to feature your open positions in the digest? Kindly reach out to us at [email protected] for details. We'll be proud to help your business thrive!
Data Phoenix Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.